About the Professional Development Sub-Committee
The Professional Development Sub-Committee’s key objective is to provide professional development opportunities for WIRV members. This is achieved through organising WIRV’s breakfast/lunch briefings throughout the year. These briefings range from soft skills sessions, to technical updates, to broader topics of interest to the insolvency and restructuring profession and WIRV members.
The Professional Development Sub-Committee’s responsibilities include: liaising with sponsor/host companies, putting forward and finalising topics for each session, securing speakers and managing the event. The Professional Development Sub-Committee aims to host between 8 and 10 briefings each calendar year.
We are always looking for speakers and firms to host our briefings. If you are interested in presenting at one of our Professional Development briefings, or if your firm would like to host a briefing throughout the year, please contact the Chair by email here. Hosting a briefing provides an excellent opportunity to showcase your firm and some of the talented individuals within it.
For more information about the joining the Professional Development Sub-Committee please contact the Chair by email here.
Professional Development sub-committee events
In response to the COVID-19 pandemic in 2020, WIRV held all but one of our 12 briefings virtually as webinars, with 853 total registrations to these events. Briefing topics for the year included:
- “Mediating beyond four corners of insolvency litigation” presented by Pravin Aathreya, Johnson Winter & Slattery and sponsored by Johnson Winter & Slattery (in person).
- “ASIC’s Assetless Administration Funding and Liquidators’ Reports – Updates and Developments” presented by Brett Warren and David Rose, ASIC.
- “Private Investigators in Insolvency” presented by Richard James, RIVICA Investigations & Covert Solutions and sponsored by BRI Ferrier.
- “Holding DOCAs: a useful tool?” presented by Domenic Calabretta, Mackay Goodwin
- “State of the Business Sales Market, and how to use this to your advantage” presented by Denise Hall, Xcllusive Business Sales.
- “Building your network of the future, now!” presented by Gordon Jenkins, Executive Coach.
- “Unfair Preferences and Payments by Third Parties” presented by Daniel Harrison, Vic Bar.
- “Intellectual property issues for companies in external administration” presented by Len Hickey, Cornwalls.
- “Independence – current requirements, guidelines and recent cases on insolvency practitioner independence” presented by David Dickens, Hall & Wilcox.
- “Negotiation: Refreshing the basics for insolvency professionals” presented by Nicole Davidson, Growing Beyond.
- “Neuro Hack Your Brain” presented by Wendy Jenkins, Ready Resilience.
- “The kikki.K Diaries: the receivership, DOCA and sale” presented by Peter Bowden and Anna Schwartz, Gilbert + Tobin and Barry Wight and Scott Benger, Cor Cordis.